Saturday, February 23, 2013

Rowing On!

As life here in Oxford roles along, it has brought me from writing 10 essays to Union Ball to Rowing On! Heading into 7th week, tutorials are coming to an end and my time in Oxford is quickly fading before me. Yet despite the short time here, I've slightly managed to integrate into Oxford society.

The Oxford Union hosts a fancy Ball once a term. This term's theme was Cirque du Soleil. Here are a few pictures of my flatmate Eliza and I as we headed to the Oxford Union Ball.
My ticket to the Ball!

Eliza and I being... well... being Eliza and I before we left

Yep, it was basically like going to prom all over again.

Us in front of the Oxford Union

Yeah... this is a girl contorting (more formally known as a contortionist). Later, she contorted herself into that tiny clear box that you can barely see in front of the drums. Crazy! There were also fire jugglers and other exciting circus-style entertainment. It was a lot of fun and a pretty classy shindig. 

Rowing has definitely been one of the highlights of my time here. It's a tough sport and an intense work out. Your technique has to be flawless, and there are a million things to think about in addition to understanding all of the foreign terminology. Unfortunately, the river has been high for the last month due to the weather, which means it has been too dangerous for us to row. Practices have consisted of circuit work outs and erg training (ergs are machines upon which you practice your rowing technique).

Two Sundays ago, the Hertford Boat Club took us all to Eton Dorney to get some outings in. The bus left from Hertford (a 30 minute walking distance from where I live) at 6:30 am(!) and drove about an hour and a half away to get to Eton Dorney in London, where the 2012 Olympic rowing took place. That day it decided to rain however, which left us soaking wet and freezing cold after hours of rowing. Regardless of the rain and the cold, learning to row in such an epic place was probably one of the most surreal moments I've had here. It made me really appreciate having the opportunity to even be in England, let alone to learn a sport in the place where Olympians had just recently performed.
To give you an idea, this is Eton Dorny!

Torpids is Oxford's big race during this term, where all of the colleges row against one another for bragging rights. Since we're in the lower boat, we had to compete for a spot in Torpids, and since before this week, we only had two outings on the water, our novice crew didn't have a very good chance. Still, we hit the ergs hard all week, finally got on the water on Thursday, and had an early morning session on Friday. Here are few pictures of us coming in from our outings.

"Eeeaasssyyy there,"yells the cox as we pull along the side to listen to the coach.

Coming in from our outing Thursday afternoon

Rowing On! (I'm sitting #3 if you start from the back)

 Friday afternoon, it was our time to pull it together and to sprint down the Thames for a little over a five minute stretch. We were the Rowing On crew, and as such, we had to make a good time, or we wouldn't qualify for Torpids. This was either going to be the climax of my short-lived rowing career or just the beginning. We were ready to go. The nerves were running high, and before we knew it, we were off, building up speed, keeping time with one another, and focusing on good technique whilst applying heavy pressure through our legs. Once we were in a groove, it was the coolest feeling. Here is the video of end as we finished and began to slow down. (Pay no mind to the crew passing us, they are guys, so it doesn't actually count). I am sitting in position #3, from the back of the boat.

Unfortuntely, we didn't end up making it. But honestly, it doesn't even matter. We had gone from not being able to keep the boat steady to successfully pulling off a sprint down the river with very few problems. My rowing career may have been short-lived (though it's not quite over yet), but it has been one of making new friends, creating new memories, learning new terms and techniques, and pushing myself to new limits.

I only have about a month left here in Oxford, and then I am off to travel Europe for a few weeks. It feels like this time is a race in itself. So, as I finish up my next couple essays and take in as much of Oxford as I can, I'll keep practicing the lessons I've learned in our outings: apply light pressure when needed, keep in time, enjoy the company, and always remember to continue Rowing On!

No comments:

Post a Comment